29 October 2010

2 birds, 1 stone

my semester is just final projects.

i don't mind it, but i feel like i have to partition my brain to the different classes i'm taking. while my statistics class is about gender and islam, my gis class is about locating natural disaster prone areas, and my managing org. class is about ngos' growth in latin america. i saw the center for latin american studies conference call for papers, so i thought i'd submit one class' final paper to it.

In my paper, I will draw on literature from my Anthropology/Public Health course, as well as my own empirical work to examine the impact that Structural Adjustment Programs in Latin America have on health, sexuality, and gender equality. While, I understand that neo-liberalism is a variable theory applied to different areas of the world, an extensive review of neo-liberalism is beyond my aims of the paper. Instead, I will discuss briefly, with case studies, the economic effects from SAPs that have been attributed to countries in Latin America. My purpose will be to stimulate discussion among researchers and theorists who have not considered including how gender and health intersects with economic policies to bring explicit and implicit disadvantages/social costs to poor women. I will argue that we should open up to examine the cultural meanings and what is tied to dynamic gendered policies, so we do not take them for granted as invisible repercussions to what must be produced.

economics is probably my weakest area, and the most debated in my mind when i think about WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING STUDYING DEVELOPMENT? i am open to discussion.

for all you ladies, i would highly recommend taking any gender analysis course. ev-er-y single policy is gendered. look into it. i'm not a raging feminist, but i think we females must debate all angles to remove ourselves from the status quo of how policies just work.

happy halloween weekend! try to see me either tonight or tomorrow night.
i will have a mohawk and face-paint on...

1 comment:

Abbie said...

I agree about the need for women to take a gender analysis course. Totally agree.